Whether you are just starting out, or have been in business for a while, choosing the right web design company can be tough. There are so many options available to you and it is up to you to decide which one is best for your situation. Here are some things you should consider when making this decision.
Begin researching companies in your area. If there aren’t any local companies available, don’t worry – they’re also on the internet! Find some good examples of their work and look at them closely – does anything stand out? Is one type of site better than another (i.e., e-commerce vs content)? Does the layout feel intuitive or clunky? Is the content well-organized or cluttered? You might want to note down your favorite web design examples for reference later.
Now it’s time to narrow down the web design companies you like. Look at their about pages (if they have one) – do you like what they say there? Take a look at their web design portfolio – is it diverse or just variations on the same theme? Do they focus on small business or big corporations, etc.? Keep in mind that just because some web designers work with small businesses, doesn’t mean that they can’t also work with large ones.
Email web design companies and ask them questions about what you want. How quickly do they respond? Do they answer your question or are they evasive? If you have more than one web designer interested in taking on the job, talk to each of them. Don’t forget to ask for references if you haven’t already seen some on their website.
After narrowing down web design companies and finding one who seems like they’ll do a good job, you’ll need to talk to them about your web design project.
What to ask web design companies when you meet them:
Researching web design companies is a time-consuming task, especially if there aren’t any local companies available in your area. Take the time now to choose one that fits with your needs and budget and you’ll be glad you did!
- Do they have web design packages available? How much would it cost to design/maintain my site?
- Are there additional charges for certain web design services? What is included in your web design packages?
- How long will the web design process take to finish? Do you offer web hosting as well, or do I need to find somewhere else for that? What happens if you go on vacation or are unavailable for any reason during the web design process?
- If I work with you, who will handle my content (i.e., the text and images)? Can I speak with them directly or email them whenever I want to make a change my website? Will this person also be available for web design-related questions and feedback, or will I need to contact you instead?
- Is training available after the web design process is finished? How often do you update your web design packages/services/tools?
Choosing a web design company can be challenging, especially if you don’t know much about the web design industry. When you meet with potential candidates, consider whether they understand your web design needs, web design budget, web design timeline, web design process, web hosting options and web content management system.
It is always your choice how far you want to go with web designers. If you’re unsure of what web designer tools are available to you, ask questions until you’re comfortable with the answers. Keep in mind that some website development companies offer more web design packages than others – if their prices seem too good to be true, then it’s possible that they cut corners on quality or customer service. As long as you do your research and are sure of what web design package works for your business, there shouldn’t be anything stopping you from finding the web design company that’s right for you.
So what are you waiting for? Get started now!