If you’re like most business owners, you probably think of web design in terms of aesthetics. “It looks good,” you might say to yourself, “so it must be effective.” But what if we told you that web design is about more than just appearances? In fact, your website’s design can have a huge impact on its conversion rate – the percentage of visitors who take a desired action, such as subscribing to your email list or making a purchase. By following these tips, you can create a web design that not only looks great but also helps convert more visitors into customers.
What are conversions?
Conversions are important because they represent the success of your website in achieving its goals. For most businesses, the goal of their website is to generate leads or sales, so conversions are key to measuring success. The conversion rate is the percentage of visitors who take a desired action on your site – such as subscribing to your email list or making a purchase.
An effective web design can help increase your conversion rate by making it easy for visitors to find what they’re looking for and take the desired action. Conversely, a poorly designed website can frustrate users and cause them to leave without converting.
How do you increase conversions?
There are a number of ways to increase conversions on your website, but we’ll focus on two of the most important:
- Creating a clear and easy-to-use design
- Creating compelling content
Creating a clear and easy-to-use design
The first step to increasing conversions is to create a web design that is clear and easy to use. Your visitors should be able to easily find the information they’re looking for and understand what you want them to do.
Some things you can do to create a clear design include:
- Use simple, straightforward language: Avoid jargon and technical terms, and make sure your content is easy to read.
- Use clear calls to action: Tell visitors what you want them to do, such as “subscribe now” or “buy now.”
- Make it easy to navigate: Use a simple navigation menu and include links to important pages on every page.
- Use headlines and subheadings to break up content: This makes your content easier to scan and helps visitors find the information they’re looking for.
- Use bullet points or numbered lists: These are easy to scan and help break up your content.
- Use images and videos: These can help explain your content and make it more visually appealing.
- Use whitespace to create visual hierarchy: This helps visitors understand the hierarchy of your content and makes it easier to scan.
Creating compelling content
The second step to increasing conversions is to create compelling content. Your content should be persuasive and convince the reader to take the desired action.
Some things you can do to create compelling content include:
- Write persuasive headlines: Headlines are important because they’re the first thing visitors see. They should be clear and concise, and persuade the reader to continue reading.
- Write benefit-oriented copy: Focus on the benefits of taking the desired action, such as how it will improve their life or solve a problem they’re facing.
- Use customer testimonials: Customer testimonials are a great way to show the benefits of your product or service.
- Offer a free trial or sample: This is a great way to convince visitors to take the desired action.
Who is your ideal customer?
Before you can create an effective web design, you need to know who your ideal customer is. What are their needs and wants? What are their pain points? Once you understand your customer’s needs, you can create a design that appeals to them and helps them achieve their goals.
The demographics of your ideal customer will also play a role in your design. For example, if you’re targeting young adults, you’ll want to use a more youthful and energetic design. If you’re targeting an older demographic, on the other hand, you might want to use a more classic and subdued design.
Set goals for your website
What do you want your website to achieve? Do you want to generate leads, make sales, or both? Once you’ve decided on your goal, you can start planning your design.
If your goal is to generate leads, for example, you’ll want to include a prominently placed call-to-action (CTA) that encourages visitors to subscribe to your email list. If you’re selling products, on the other hand, you’ll want to make sure your product pages are easy to find and navigate.
Your goals will also dictate the overall tone of your design. For example, if you’re selling high-end products, you’ll want to use a luxurious and elegant design. If you’re selling budget-friendly products, on the other hand, you’ll want to use a more fun and playful design.
What do you want your customers to do?
What’s the most important thing you want your customers to do on your website? Do you want them to subscribe to your email list? Make a purchase? Contact you for more information? Once you know what your goal is, you can design your website accordingly. For example, if you want people to subscribe to your email list, make sure to include a prominently placed sign-up form. If you want people to make a purchase, make sure your products are easy to find and your checkout process is smooth and simple.
What are the most important pages on your website?
Some pages on your website are more important than others.
Your homepage is typically the most important page on your site, as it’s the first thing people will see when they visit. It’s important to make a good first impression, so take some time to ensure that your homepage is well-designed and informative.
Your about page is a great place to tell your story and give visitors a sense of who you are and what you’re all about. Be sure to include information about your company’s history, mission, and values.
If you’re selling products or services on your website, it’s important to have a well-designed page that showcases your offerings. Include high-quality photos and descriptions of your products or services, as well as pricing information.
Your contact page should be easy to find and include all the relevant information people will need to get in touch with you, such as your phone number, email address, and physical address (if applicable). You might also want to include a contact form so people can easily get in touch with you.
If you have a blog, it’s important to design it in a way that is easy to read and navigate. Include categories and tags to help people find the content they’re looking for, and be sure to format your posts so they are easy to read.
Web Design Tips:
Make it easy to navigate
Your website’s navigation should be intuitive and easy to use. Your visitors should be able to find what they’re looking for without any trouble. If your navigation is confusing or difficult to use, people will likely give up and go somewhere else. Make sure your navigation is simple and easy to understand, and make sure all of your pages are accessible from the homepage.
Include calls to action
Your website’s design should include calls to action – that is, elements that encourage visitors to take a desired action. For example, if you want people to subscribe to your email list, you might include a sign-up form on every page of your website. If you want people to buy a product, you might include a “Buy Now” button on your product pages. Including calls to action will help increase conversions on your website.
Use high-quality visuals
The visuals on your website – including the photos, videos, and graphics – should be high quality and visually appealing. Poor-quality visuals will reflect poorly on your brand and can turn people off from your website. Be sure to use only high-quality visuals on your website.
Pay attention to typography
Typography is an important element of web design, and it can have a big impact on the overall look and feel of your site. Be sure to choose a font that is easy to read and that compliments the overall design of your website.
Keep it simple
Keep your website’s design simple and uncluttered. Too much visual noise can be overwhelming for visitors and make it difficult for them to focus on the task at hand, such as filling out a form or reading your content. Second, use colors that are known to increase conversion rates. Studies have shown that certain colors can subconsciously influence people to take action, so choose your colors wisely.
Choose the right colors
The colors you use on your website can have a big impact on how people perceive your brand. Choose colors that reflect your brand’s personality and make sure they are easy to read. Avoid using too many colors, as this can be overwhelming for visitors.
- Blue: Blue is often seen as a calming and trustworthy color, which makes it a good choice for websites that are looking to build trust with their visitors.
- Green: Green is often associated with nature and money, making it a good choice for websites selling eco-friendly products or financial services.
- Orange: Orange is often seen as a cheerful and energetic color, which makes it a good choice for websites that want to convey a sense of excitement or happiness.
- Purple: Purple is often associated with royalty and luxury, making it a good choice for websites selling high-end products or services.
- Red: Red is often seen as an exciting and passionate color, which makes it a good choice for websites that are looking to generate excitement or encourage people to take action.
- Black: Black is often seen as a sophisticated and classy color, which makes it a good choice for websites selling luxury products or services.
- White: White is often seen as a clean and fresh color, which makes it a good choice for websites that are looking to convey a sense of purity or simplicity.
Don’t forget about SEO
When designing your website, it’s important to keep SEO in mind. Your website’s design should include elements that will help your site rank well in search engines.
Search Engine Optimization Tips:
Use keyword-rich titles and descriptions: This will help your site show up when people search for those keywords.
H tags: Use H tags to give your content structure and make it easy for search engines to find.
Include alt text: This is the text that appears when an image can’t be displayed. It’s important to include because it helps search engines understand what your site is about.
Make sure your site is mobile-friendly: More and more people are using their phones to browse the internet. If your site isn’t mobile-friendly, you’re missing out on potential traffic.
Create a sitemap: This helps search engines index your site so they can show it in results.
If you’re looking to increase your website’s conversion rate, it’s time to start thinking about web design in terms of function as well as form. By following the tips we’ve outlined in this post, you can create a design that not only looks great but also helps convert more visitors into customers. And if you need help putting these principles into action, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’d be happy to help you create a website that not only looks amazing but also drives results. Call (360) 450-3711
Web Design Conversions FAQs:
What is a conversion?
A conversion is a completed desired action on a website. This could be anything from subscribing to a newsletter to making a purchase.
Why are conversions important?
Because they represent the success of your website in achieving its goals. The more conversions you have, the more successful your website is.
How can I improve my website’s conversion rate?
There are a number of ways to do this, but some common methods include: optimizing your website for search engines, making sure your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate, and creating compelling content that encourages visitors to take the desired action.
What is a good conversion rate?
This varies depending on your industry and what your goals are, but a general rule of thumb is that a conversion rate of around 2% is considered good.
Are there any other factors that affect conversions?
Yes, there are many other factors that can affect conversions, such as the time of day or year, the location of the visitor, and whether they are a returning customer.
What if I need help improving my website’s conversion rate?
Give us a call! We’re experts in web design and can help you make your website more effective at achieving its goals. Contact us today to learn more. (360) 450-3711.