Why You Should Backup Your WebsiteNovember 01, 2021 Reading Time: 3 Minutes
You may never think your website could be hacked or suffer a data loss, but the truth is that there are many technical and human errors that can take place. Not only will you lose all of your files and backup if this happens, but you’ll also be unable to generate income for as long as it takes to get things back up and running. It’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to protecting your website.
If you are running a WordPress site, backup up the entire database, the plugins folder, and uploads folder in addition to any files that have been modified. If you’re not using WordPress, backup up anything that has been changed or created since the last time you backed up your website. You can’t afford to lose any of these items or recreate them once they’ve disappeared, which is why backing things up regularly is so important.
When deciding on how often you should backup your website, we recommend daily while others backup weekly or monthly depending on certain factors such as the size of their site and how active it is.
Regardless, you should backup your website on a regular basis, at the very least every two weeks. This will ensure that if anything unexpectedly happens or you accidentally delete a file, you’ll have backup on hand.
Backing up your website can be as simple as downloading and saving backup files to an external hard drive or it can be as complex as backing up your site to an entirely different server. It all depends on what you’re willing to spend and the number of backup options that you want to have in place.
However, if you don’t have access to a backup solution, you can backup your files manually by going to the root directory of your website, and copying all of them onto a USB drive or data storage server.
Another thing you should do is create a backup plan so that if disaster strikes, you know exactly what to do and how to recover from the situation. Most hosting companies offer help with this so it’s important to take advantage of any available resources before something goes wrong. This way, even if things go very wrong – say for example your website gets hacked or deleted – you’ll know exactly what steps to take next.
Here are some reasons for regularly backing up your site:
- You’ll be able to get back online faster after suffering from a technical problem since files will have been stored on an external device instead of being lost forever.
- Even if hackers get into your site and damage or steal certain files, they won’t be able to do it again since everything will be backed up.
- In case you lose any data due to human error, such as accidentally deleting some files, you’ll have backup files to work with.
- If you have multiple websites, backing up all of them can be a hassle but if they’re backed up automatically on a server it’s as easy as backup one – no additional manual tasks required.
- It’s important to backup your website regularly so that you don’t have to go through such a disastrous situation since losing data will affect your income and reputation. You should backup at least once per week or month, depending on how often the changes are made to your site. Ideally this should happen every day since things change rapidly in this industry. Here’s an article about backup WordPress themes , including their availability for different hosting platforms.
The importance of backing up your website can’t be overstated. You never know when disaster will strike, and you don’t want to find out the hard way that your site is gone for good. Whether it’s a hardware failure or an attack on your data center by hackers, there are many reasons why you should have regular backups in place just in case something goes wrong. Contact us today if you need help coming up with strategies for how to backup your website so that no matter what happens, you’ll always be able to recover.